Tuesday 22 February 2011

Borg in the Blue Room

It's a special moment, when your brother asks you to hang out with him and his friends. It was actually very short notice. It was in the evening, and he invited me to something called BorgWorld. His description of it was just strange enough to pique my curiosity, so I got dressed, slapped on a zebra-print tie and went down William St with him to Han's. It's good, being fairly similar to him, because I could see mirrors of my friends in his. We had some spring rolls and cider. The tie must have made me look old. Not that I contributed towards the corkage fee... Then we continued down William to PICA, where we went into the Blue Room.

frame_entrance.pngframe_bar01.jpg

The Blue Room's actually a pretty swell venue. We bought our tickets (I used my SmartRider to get a concession ticket - fuck yeah). We hung around in the bar area for a while, a great little place with a backlit balcony. We were summoned into Borg's Lair, where a young lady by the name of Soxie Liqueur'e was handing out acid to go with my white wine, and inscribing our wrists with numbers. I took a seat in a cosy little room with 30 or so others, and prepared for the show. Whatever the fuck I had been expecting, this was not it.

'Borgworld'

Cushioned into a magnificent wicker throne, there sat our guide for the night, his third eye glaring into our souls. It started with a visual presentation, of how he came to be him. Apparently watching 2001: A Space Odyssey when you're 5 tends to fuck you up a little bit. Then Soxie would call out a number from a small bingo machine and summon one of us to ask the Book of Answers a question. He showed us old videos from the 70's of the most ghetto martial arts crime fighting team I've ever seen. Soxie call's out another number, 15. That's me. For those interested, my question was 'Will they ever make Yakult in bigger bottles?'. Apparently I didn't really want to know. As a prize, he handed me a Harry Potter: The Order of the Phoenix sticker book, with three quarters of the pages missing. Soxie soon began to dance, an enchanting, exotic dance. We explored psychic phenomena with videos of a man channeling 42 famous dead artists, and another man who could develop blank film into images he'd seen in his mind. Then a magician showed us some live psychic phenomena. The night drew to a close, and finished with a beautiful rendition of 'My Way' by Borg himself. I left soon after, bought a Cheesy Mexican from the Shell near my house, and went to sleep at midnight. Who says you can't explore mind-fuckery on a weeknight?

Ale.

No comments:

Post a Comment